Saturday, June 16, 2012

Tacky Tie Challenge: Quilted Tie Frame

Hello Everyone! 
Today I will be sharing with you the project I created for the
Little Blue House Tacky Tie Challenge. 
I call it my "Quilted Tie Frame"...


This is a picture of my Dad and Mom at his Retirement Party in 2004. When I started digging through my bag of old ties...it brought back memories of this special day. My Dad was so excited to retire and one of the things he was most excited about was not having to wear dress shirts and ties anymore...after 50+ years of wearing ties every day...He was boasting about having a bon fire with them...LoL! I decided it would be safer to just "set them free". 

After his Retirement Party, we all went back to my parent's Farm. I had my Dad wait outside while the Grand Kids and I went inside...I had each of them put on one of his work shirts and we tied several of his ties to balloons that  we had brought home from the Party. All the kids marched outside with the balloons and we let him release them into the wild blue yonder...It was so much fun! He LoVeD it and it is such a wonderful memory that my family will never forget! 


When I saw all the ties...I knew I had to do something related to that memory! My frame is really easy to make...
Here's how I did it...

You will need a frame, a mat board, glue gun, scissors, and of course....a few old ties. I used a pre-cut mat board (very inexpensive...$1.50) that fits into my 8x10 in. frame. 

Choose your ties and begin by cutting them down to wrap around your mat board. I started on each corner and used hot glue to attach like so...


I wrapped all the corners first and then attached more ties until the entire mat board was covered. When you finish it will look something like this...It has a fun quilted look...


Insert your Quilted Tie Mat into the frame...It will be snug. Attach your photo to the frame back and insert into the frame. I love the finished look and I know my Dad will too!


Thanks so much for reading! Hope you will consider taking the Tacky Tie Challenge...You can send pictures of your Tacky Tie creations to me by next Sat. 6/23 and the Design Team and I will vote on the most creative submissions...top 3 will receive a Special Prize from the LBH! Please Email your photos to littlebluehouse.misstracy@gmail.com
I can't wait to see what you do with your recycled ties! 
Be sure to check out my fellow Design Team Members blogs to see their Tacky Tie Projects.






Have a Happy Father's Day!
Miss Tracy :)
P.S. Oh and by the way...Dad...If you are reading...I LOVE YOU very much! Thanks for being such an awesome DAD and I'm looking forward to spending Father's Day with you! 

3 comments:

Janet said...

I love your frame. Thank you so much for sharing your story with us. It was very touching and made me smile.

DeeDee said...

I love this frame Miss Tracy... and great picture too.... great way to celebrate fathers day... :D

Susan said...

Love the frame as well as the great story. What a wonderful memory for your dad.