Friday, June 8, 2012

Make a Framed Pin Cushion...I'll show you how!

Good Morning! 

It's Front Porch Friday and I have a wonderful project to share with you that was designed from the newest Front Porch Kit release...
"Sew" Artsy!

 One of the projects I created was this adorable 
Framed Pin Cushion...
I found a simple wood frame...this one is a 5x7 and painted it black and I used some of the fabric remnants in my kit to create this cutie. The flowers were all die cut from the Tim Holtz Tattered Flowers Die and then as a nice finishing touch, I added the dotted ribbon around the edges of the frame and colorful buttons to my flowers. Pushed in my pins...and waa laa...I have a "Sew" Artsy Framed Pin Cushion!

Here is a look at another one that I created and some pictures to help you understand how to make one of your own...
 This frame is slightly smaller (4x6) and I started by painting it red. When it was dry, I distressed it a bit with some black chalk ink.

To create your pin cushion, cut a piece of batting ( depending on the thickness of your batting, you may want to cut multiple pieces) and my fabric (on this frame I used burlap) just slightly larger than the back insert of the frame. It will look something like this when you layer it...

 Now insert all layers and frame back into the frame...It will be really snug so be sure to push it all the way in. Then close the clasps and cut away any excess fabric and batting from the frame like so...

Now your framed Pin Cushion is ready for a few embellishments. I die cut a few flowers for this one out of felt. Cut them in half and glued them in place with fabric glue. Be sure to push the cut edge slightly under the frame. I then added some twine to a few buttons and glued them to the centers of the flowers slightly overlapping the frame edge.  
Add you pins or whatever else you would like to "pin up" like reminders, photos, etc. or just fill it with pins and place in your craft space to use and enjoy! 

Thanks so much for reading today and as a special thank you, I'm offering a GIVE-AwaY today! 

Please post a comment and become a follower of my blog for a chance to WIN some "extra" Sew Artsy goodies from me! I have a fun assortment of extras that are just waiting to go to one lucky commenter! 

Please check out my fellow Front Porch Design Team Members blogs to see their Front Porch Friday posts today!
There are just a few "Sew Artsy" Front Porch Kits still available...so if you would like to order, don't delay. You can view the full content list and see wonderful projects on our website at 
Kits may be purchased online or at The Little Blue House in Keller, TX...directions are posted on the website. 

Have a Fabulous Friday!
Miss Tracy :)
P.S. Don't forget to leave your comments :)

11 comments:

DeeDee said...

Thanks for the tutorial Miss Tracy... my friends will love this... I so loved this kit....and look forward to the next one....

Jennifer aka Scrappin' Aggie said...

Well Miss Tracy - that was a fun blog hop! CUTE, CUTE ideas from this great kit! I think the pin cushions are 'SEW" cute!!!

Susie said...

I need a new pin cushion so I will have to try it!

Art From The Heart said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Cathy said...

Love tutorial, love FPK's, love the Blue House Gals....I am seeing a theme here :)

Karen Blakeney said...

I love this! Such a cute kit too.

SuZeK said...

You come up with the cutest projects. I think I might give this a try. Thanks, Miss Tracy!
kosec@sbcglobal.net

Amy said...

I think by now you know the 'Sew Artsy' Front Porch kit is my favorite! I need to start working on it soon! I must of been waiting to add my 'winnings' to my kit! hint! hint!

Papel Scissors said...

cute cute pin cushions!!! thanks for the idea

Casey said...

Very cute. But, everything you make is amazing!!!

Janet said...

Thank you for the tutorial. It looks so cute. I can't wait to make a few.