Thursday, April 21, 2011

More inspiration from the Front Porch!

Hello friends! I hope you are having a Happy Spring and enjoying all of the beautiful flowers that are in bloom.  It's such a special time...life renewing itself! Here is a project featuring one of my all-time favorite Springtime photos that I created from my Front Porch Kit, Fresh from the Garden. 
Maddi's Boots
Designed by: Miss Tracy :)

I just adore this photo and if you have a minute, I would like to share the story behind it. This photo was taken back in the Spring of 2004 at my parent's farm, my Mom had already been diagnosed with Parkinson's at this point but was still managing the disease fairly well. My youngest daughter Maddi had gone down for a visit. Maddi loves the farm, always has, and the first thing she would do when we got there was run to the closet to get her rubber boots. She loved those silly boots and this particular Spring they had finally become too small and were getting really uncomfortable. My Mom finally convinced Maddi to "let them go" and that she had some gardening for them to do together. Of course, Maddi moped about not wearing her boots, until my Mom told her they were going to plant some flowers in them so she could enjoy them even after they were too small! Of course, this thrilled Maddi...and I think it was such an adorable idea! Maddi still has such wonderful memories of this time she spent with my Mom and soon after, her disease took a turn for the worse and this was really the last thing she and Maddi were able to do together.

When I was working with the Kit this month, it just kept reminding me of my Mom and her love of Spring. I decided to create this canvas for Maddi so she would have a wonderful keepsake of this memory that she and her GrandMommy shared. 

Here is a closer look...

I painted the canvas first with a base coat of Red paint and then applied a Crackle medium with a top coat of Black paint. I love how the crackle effect looks...very rustic! I used some of the LilyBee paper from my kit and distressed the edges with an edge distresser (Tonic). Next , I adhered the fabric swatch which had the word LIFE and definition on it with Helmar Fabric stiffener (works great as an adhesive too). Before adhering the fabric, I did remove a few strands of thread from the sides of the fabric to create a frayed edge. I added the Front Porch Kutz Leafy Vine Flourish to the canvas and applied Glossy Accents to it for dimension.  I kept the embellishments minimal on this project because I really wanted the photo of Maddi's boots to be the star of the show (so to speak). I simply added the Butterfly pin, and a little twine and the red crochet trim.  I created the little banner for my title from the new Tim Holtz Sizzix Banners die.

I hope my project inspires you to preserve a Springtime memory of your own! I am going to make a companion canvas for this one featuring a photo of my Mom and Maddi (one that shows her wearing the boots) and attach the two with a couple of hinges and type up the story, print it off, and put it on the back of the canvases.

 I think Maddi will treasure this for years to come! Now that my Mom has passed, I have decided that every Mother's Day I will create a project that is tribute to her memory and give to one of my kiddos...this year it will be Maddi.

Thanks for reading...and I hope you have a blessed day!
Miss Tracy :)

P.S. If you are interested in this month's Front Porch Kit and want to see more projects created with it, please visit www.frontporchkits.com. It's a fabulous kit and there are only a few left, so don't delay...order one today!

6 comments:

Kristyn said...

I love this mom!! I remember that day like it was yesterday! Every flower I see makes me think of her! :)

carolynjglass said...

What an awesome memory :0)

Jennifer Yates said...

This is just adorable Tracy. Beautiful photo. What a wonderful memory you will always have!

Amber said...

Sounds like you had a wonderful Mom and precious memories for your daughter! Love your LO's, so creative! And your pictures are so sweet.
Hugs
Amber

Shazza said...

G'Day Tracy!

I have just finished watching both the Friday night Live videos for the March (sold out CRY!) and April kit Reveals!
.....I'm now hooked and cant wait to see the rest of the series lol

I ordered my 'Fresh from the Garden' kit earlier today.....I do hope there are still some left...I really need to have a good play with it!

I really love the idea of you making a project each Mothers Day as a tribute to your mums memory and a special gift for one of your children each year.

A big Thankyou to you and your Design Team for making 2011 a really special creative year for myself and a lot of ladies.

Cheers
Shazza Bishop
from Australia

Sharon said...

Tracy, another one of your great ideas. Very neat idea. I can see your Mom coming up with that idea. Also, loved the picture with your Mom and Maddi..