Sunday, June 12, 2011

Wedding Affaire - "Lovely" Altered Dress Form!


Hello everyone -- Welcome to my blog! After visiting with several of my customers, I'm hearing more and more about upcoming Weddings! So I thought I would share a project that I designed a while back...an altered dress form! I altered this metal dress form with beautiful beaded paper to create her dress. I then adorned it with wonderful hand made flowers, ribbons, sequin trim, and a touch of bling here and there. I think she would be lovely greeting guests near the Wedding Guest Book or directing people to the Wedding Gift Table at the reception. I adorned her with some torn paper flowers using the Theresa Collins paper collection, Mr. & Mrs. I created one of the flowers specifically to leave the "lovely" word revealed...
I also wanted to add some texture and interest to my dress form so I used the new Tim Holtz Tattered Florals die cut and cut out a variety of flowers out of art metal. I used Rock Star Black and Kiss Me Pink metal from Ten Seconds Studio. I embossed my metal flowers in a variety of Cuttlebug Embossing Folders and simply layered them and shaped the petals so that the blossoms are nice and dimensional.
To add even more texture and interest, I created unique rosettes out of Pink Crepe Paper and charming white rosettes out of used dryer sheets...yep, that's right...Re-Cycled Dryer Sheets!
Here are the items you will need to create these lovely blossoms for yourself...
To create the embossed metal flowers, I simply cut a couple of pieces of art metal (Rock Star Black & Kiss Me Pink:Ten Senconds Studio) and die cut flowers using the new Tattered Florals die (Tim Holtz) and my Cuttlebug. His dies work great using the two B plates.
Next, I embossed the flowers in a variety of Cuttlebug Embossing Folders (Provocraft). Be sure to emboss your metal with the color-side up...
Next, I sanded over the embossed design to expose the silver core...
The metal is quite soft so you can form your petals and really make your blossom come to life...
Now, on to the re-cycled dryer sheet and crepe paper flowers...to create these you will cut your dryer sheet into strips and tear a piece of crepe paper off the roll...
Next, you will need a scrap piece of paper and some tacky glue. I really like using Fabri-Tac for making flowers..it's super tacky! Spread a circular glob of glue onto your scrap paper like so...
Let's start with the dryer sheet strip first. Simply twist the strip...
Now begin coiling the end of the strip (kind of like a snail's shell), place in the center of the glob of glue and begin twisting and coiling around and around and around...
When you reach the end of the strip, tuck the end up under the flower and set aside to dry...
The same process is used with the crepe paper rosettes. First, spread another glob of glue and twist the crepe paper...
Once again twist and coil the end of the strip and place in the center of the glue glob...begin twisitng and coiling around. When you reach the end, simply tuck it under your rosette and set aside to dry...
To add a little more pizzazz to your rosettes, dab with some stickles to create a lovely sparkly effect...
When the rosettes are dry, take your scissors and cut at a slight angle around the base of the flowers...
And now your blossoms are complete... They make such beautiful embellishments and are quite inexpensive to create!
I hope that my "Lovely" Dress Form and hand-made blossoms have inpired you! ... Good luck to all who are hearing those "wedding bells" in you near future!!


Stay true to your passion -- Keep Creating!
Miss Tracy :)

13 comments:

Svatbenipokani.com said...

Incredible beauty. Applause!

Sylvia said...

Wow I love these. Thanks for the tutorial. And TIM HOLTZ WOW I love all his new products. Dryer Sheets...my husband calls me a pack rat now !!!! but I do use a lot of recyclable things. Good Job some really great inspiration.

Jennifer Y said...

this is ABSOLUTELY GORGEOUS tracy! Love it all! :) Call me when you can!

Susan said...

Beautiful! A very "lovely" dress.
Susan

Dede said...

Love, love the dress. The flowers rock and I will definitely be making some of those on my projects. thanks for the inspiration.

ctaylor said...

Tracy it's gorgeous! You never stop inspiring creativity!

April Hummert said...

That is SOOOOO pretty, Tracy!

Meda said...

I love your dress. I have always been fascinated by metal dresses. And thank you for telling us Tim Holtz alterations work with the cuttlebug.

KatieJ said...

Wow- this is fantastic! I've never seen those metal sheets but they are awesome!

DeeDee said...

I needed this thanks Miss Tracy... I so love roses...Your dress for is beautiful..:D

Linda Hahn said...

Another gorgeous project and more ways to use the flowers!!!

Elaine said...

June 12th is my wedding anniversary and how lovely to see a beautiful post for a wedding! Love all of the flower techniques!

Yolanda said...

So much inspiration can be taken from this lovely post! I was just looking online for some ideas for the Tattered Florals die which I finally purchased and found your blog. The dressform is gorgeous! I am definitely going to try making the metal flowers with my new die.