Friday, April 9, 2010

Scrapstasher's April Project!

We had such a great time at our April Scrapstasher's Anonymous Meetings! Spring Fever has definitely taken me over after seeing all of the lovely green grass return and beautiful blossoms popping up everywhere! This fresh breath of Spring inspired me to transform some ordinary terra cotta flower pots using my stash of paper, buttons, trims, vintage finds, etc. Take a look... I love how this one turned out! I simply tore pages out of an old book and decoupaged them all over my pot using Mod Podge to adhere. I then spritzed my pot with Glimmer Mists and added a little Distress Ink to add interest and dimension...not to mention the lovely shimmer effect that the Glimmer Mist adds! Notice some of the patchy areas...this occurred because some of the mod podge seaps out when you add the pages to the pot and this created a resist. So when the Glimmer Mists and Ink went on, it didn't take in those areas. This created such a wonderful distressed effect! To add a little touch of Spring, I cut out some butterflies from a piece of Scrapbook Paper and decoupaged them in random areas around my pot. To finish it off, I added 2 more coats of glossy Mod Podge to seal it.

Here's another great way to use your paper scraps...
On this pot, I created a faux mosaic look by simply cutting my paper scraps into various shapes and adhering them to the pot with Mod Podge. To add more depth, be sure to ink the edges of your paper pieces before you adhere them to the pot. Leave some space between your paper pieces...this creates the look of faux grout lines. This was so fun and easy to do! I applied 2 topcoats of glossy Mod Podge and it made the paper truly look like ceramic. To finish it off, I just added some cute ric rac trim around the rim.
Anyone out there have oodles and oodles of buttons in your stash?? If so, you may want to consider this project...
I painted my terra cotta pot and then covered the entire thing with buttons! I used tacky glue to adhere them and I think it turned out so CuTe! Consider covering one in nothing but jewels and gems...that could be quite glamorous!
At our meeting, we talked about all the wonderful uses for our Flower Pots. Of course, the obvious...plant flowers, ivy, herbs, etc. But other uses to consider could be re-purposing them to organize all of your stuff in your studio or home office, using them as gift baskets to package goodies or small gifts, cute centerpieces for a backyard cookout to house candles, plastic ware, napkins, etc. We came up with so many ideas...it was great! I also shared with the Stasher's a project that my friend Rhonda Merry and I had created several years ago using various size terra cotta pots. Take a peek....
We took some metal wire and simply strung the pots through the drain holes and wrapped them all over this grapevine wreath. Then added a little greenery to finish it off. I put it out just about every Spring and now I'm considering giving it a fresh look using ...guess what?!?....that's right, my stash of paper scraps...maybe book pages or even sheet music...When I get it completed, I will post before and after pic's for you to see.
Enjoy this Spring season and I hope these projects will inspire you to create some gorgeous garden art of your own!
Stash On...
Tracy :)

2 comments:

Dede said...

Love the wreath! I might have to copy that one.

Mod Podge Amy said...

These are so cute!