Monday, February 9, 2009

Cuttlebug Challenge #18 - Shaped Card

Hello everyone!
I wanted to share my card that I created for this week's "Be Inspired" Challenge on the Cuttlebug Challenge Blog. The challenge was to create a shaped card. I chose to create this adorable Valentine's Card.

I wanted to be unique so I designed my valentine to slide open rather than fold open like an ordinary card. Isn't it cute!

I just love Owls, don't you?? This card is perfect to add a sweet lovey message or a photo would be darling too! I also incorporated a stamping technique with my Cuttlebug Embossing Folder. To learn more about how to create this card for yourself, please check out the "Step-by-Step" instructions below.
"HOO" LOVES YOU? Shaped Slide Card:

1.To create the scalloped circles, I simply cut them using my Cricut and ordinary cardstock. You will need the following sizes:
Brown Cardstock: 4 3/4 in. (cut 2)
White Cardstock: 3 3/4 in. (cut 2)
2 3/4 in. (cut 1)
2 in. (cut 1)
2. Next take the two largest white scalloped circles and get your Cuttlebug ready. I used the Swiss Dots EF on this card. Take a red ink pad and rub over theinside top cover of your EF. Be sure to get good coverage. Then quickly lay the white Sc. circle in the embossing folder, close and run through the Cuttlebug. Remove and you will see how beautifully the cardstock is now embossed and inked. So fun!! Reapply ink and repeat this process on your second sc. circle. Clean your folder with a baby wipe (note: if you used Stazon - you will need to clean your EF with Stazon cleaner).
3. Repeat the process for step #2 but this time use a light pink ink pad and emboss the smallest white scalloped circle.
4. Ink the edges of your remaining scalloped circle with a Chestnut Roan cat eye.
5. Cover your chipboard Owl (Maya Road) with a printed paper and ink the edges heavily with your Chestnut Roan cat eye. Cut a small piece of brown cardstock for his breast section and emboss in the Swiss Dots EF. Adhere it to the Owl's chest. Next, I cut a small piece of red felt for his nose. Adhere two mismatched buttons for his eyes and adhere the nose right under the eyes. Such cuteness!!

6. Take your chipboard branch (Maya Road) and ink heavily with Chestnut Roan and lightly apply some clear stickles to add some sparkle. Set aside to dry.
7. Stamp "HOO" LOVES YOU? and I DO! on to white cardstock. Cut into strips and ink the edges with Chestnut Roan.
8. Now you are ready to assemble your card. Use the pictures as a guide for placement. I attached my Owl with pop dots. Further embellish your card pieces with a few flowers. I put white brads in the centers of my flowers.
9. To attach the two card pieces, simply align and attach a large eyelet to the top center. Your card will then easily slide open and shut.
I hope you were inspired and will make some slide cards of your own! Please feel free to post your comments or questions. Be sure to add the Cuttlebug Challenge Blog to your blog roll today to ensure that you don't miss out on all the great tutorials, ideas and inspiration that it has to offer!

Happy Valentine's Day!
Tracy :)

13 comments:

Eva said...

Tracy, this is totally adorable!!! Love that cute little owl!

Mrs J said...

I just adore this Tracy! So cute and adorable! I love the way your card slides open - I must try that one! Gorgeous shape and beautifully put together (as always!).
Hugs Mrs Jx

Karen said...

I too love owls, and I your little shaped card is fantastic how it slides. The inside is just as beautiful Tracy and love the little tutorial!!

Lea L. said...

This is adorable Tracey! Love that cute little owl and the sentiment!! Great job with the challenge this week!

~Lea

Bouncy, Flouncy, Fun,Fun, Fun said...

Tracy this is totally cute! I love owls and yours is adorable!

Hugs~Becky

JennK said...

I love this!! Great card this week!

Allison said...

fab owl and fab shape with fab colours- take it the card is fab then!
AllisonX

kshand said...

I love these little owls too. This realy turned out adorable!! I love how this just slides out, I'm definetly going to have to try that!!

spikescreativeside said...

Tracy, what a great card! I love that sliding idea!

Hugs

~Spike

Meda said...

Totally fantastic! My husband loved the word game "hoo loves you" and he usually does not notice cards.
Meda

Beth said...

Tracy Love this card it is so adorable

Cheryl said...

What a cute card. Love that owl.

lifesabeach32940 said...

What a CUTE card!! Thanks for providing the instructions ... theyu are AWESOME!! :)