Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Cuttlebug Be Inspired Challenge #15



This week the Cuttlebug Design Team was issued a challenge to recreate a card inspired by one of Becky Fleck's (of Page Maps) sketches. Here is the card that I created. I love the look of clear cards! This card is created out of clear plastic. These plastic sheets can be cut easily by hand or die cut...best of all, it scores easily and embosses beautifully in the Cuttlebug! I used the nested heart Cuttlebug dies to create the various hearts out of the plastic and some fun papers by Fancy Pants. I embossed the larger heart with the Script EF and the smaller heart with the Swiss Dot EF. Some of the hearts, buttons, and flowers are adhered to the front of the card, while others are adhered inside the card. This creates a great layered, dimensional look because the card is clear and you see all of the elements through the front of the card. It's "clearly" a fun way to create! Follow these simple step-by-step instructions and make your own "clear" card today!
1. Cut your plastic sheet to desired dimensions (sample card is 8x4)
2. Score and fold
3. Cut a 3x7 piece of red cardstock and create scalloped edges using a scollop border punch
4. Center and adhere to the inside of the card
(use a clear adhesive runner or a clear liquid adhesive)
5. Die cut various hearts out of printed papers and scraps of plastic
6. Emboss the plastic hearts in the Cuttlebug embossing folders (I used the Script EF and the Swiss Dot EF on my card)
7. Ink the edges of the various paper hearts in coordinating colors
8. Now the fun part...arrange the plastic and paper hearts in desired postions and adhere. Start with the inside of the card then close card and arrange additional hearts on the front of the card. This will create a layered, dimensional look. (use a clear adhesive...my favorite is zip dry)
9. Stamp the front of the card with special sentiment (you must use StazOn Ink on plastic)
10. Embellish the card with punched paper circles, buttons, and flowers. (I used some black floss in the buttons and I applied Pink Stickles in the centers of the flowers)
11. Punch a hole through the closed card using a Cropadile and secure with a ribbon.
If you do not have plastic sheets available in your local area, you can purchase them online at http://www.cre8joyworkshops.com/. They are manufactured by Accucut and come in 12x12 sheets. Click on the "Shop for Joy!" link on the website and then go to Scrappin' Basics to check them out. Hope you enjoyed this week's challenge!
Keep Creating,
Tracy :)


10 comments:

Trudi said...

Love your clear card Tracy! Great job with this week's challenge! Welcome to the team.

Eva said...

What a gorgeous card! I love how you used a clear card! Beautiful work!!!

JennK said...

Love your card..I am going to try this myself! Thank you for the tutorial on how to create this card and I am going to try that zip dry adhesive too. It is hard to find a good adhesive for our clear projects. Thanks

Ching-a-ling said...

your card is gorgeous Tracy!! Wow!

Linda Hahn said...

Tracy,
I love your card as well as everything else that you do. Thanks for providing the tutorial.

Mrs J said...

Love your card Tracy, especially that you made it on a clear base. It looks so striking!
Mrs Jx

Robin said...

Great card!! I love how using the clear card gives the impression that some of the elements are just floating around the main focal point.
Robin

kmsaylor said...

You rock! Even I can follow the directions to make that beautiful card!

Amber said...

Oh I have to try making a clear card Tracy, it is beautiful and I love all the colors and textures.
Hugs
Amber

Alison said...

I really like your card!! I own this Cuttlebug nested hearts die but I have never used it and you have inspired me! :)
Your grandson is adorable - my baby is 12 weeks old tomorrow...they just get cuter every day! :)
Peace & love
Alison xx